The Story of a Commercial Fire Job
This is just one of the many areas that was affected by the fire.
A well-known local company here in Spartanburg, SC was struck by a disaster at the beginning of the year that no company would ever want to go through. A fire sparked caused by an electrical malfunction that covered the upstairs office area with flames and left everything in piles of charred debris. In panic mode, they contacted SERVPRO of Spartanburg County to restore their office spaces. As this was a massive job to take care of, our crew here at SERVPRO of Spartanburg County took the job and made it "Like it never even happened." The long process of restoring the upstairs office spaces started with taking inventory of everything that was still somewhat together and not completely burned. After that, the production crew began to tear down everything affected by the fire and disposed of them properly. This part took the longest because the crew was removing and disposing literally everything in the office spaces. Once all of the debris was removed from the area, the cleaning and deodorizing process began. Everything was covered in soot from the insulation in the ceiling, to the floor they walked on. With our specialized equipment, the production crew was able to clean all the soot off the walls and floors and remove the smoke smell from the whole building with our deodorizing solutions and hydroxyls. Then, to ensure clean walls, the production crew pressure washed all the concrete walls to leave the walls and floors spotless. Due to the water used during the pressure washing process, the crew had to extract the standing water left over on the floors. The company was 100% satisfied and thankful for SERVPRO of Spartanburg County coming in and restoring the massive office area so they could return to normal business operations. And we also want to thank them for choosing SERVPRO for their urgent restoration needs.
Tips for a great 2019 for our friends in Spartanburg County
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County wants you to start the New Year off right by taking some steps to help insure a safe and happy 2019. Here are some tips that may help!
- Do not wait for daylight savings time to check your smoke detector. All smoke detectors have a manufacturing date on them. If that date over 10 years old, replace it! Also if your home has gas or oil heat it is a good idea to invest in a carbon monoxide detector.
- What was learned with the Gatlinburg fire is that there is not always time to gather things when an evacuation is required. Keep a pre-packed bag handy with some cash, changes of clothes, medications, copies of important documents, etc.
- Have your family practice fire drills to make sure everyone knows how to escape, what to do and where to meet should a fire occur.
- If you are traveling and will be away for several days, please be sure to turn off the water so you do not come home to any surprises. Also, lower your thermostat but do not turn off the heat if there is a chance of freezing temperatures.
- If you are using rubber hoses for the water supply to your washing machine, they need to be replaced every 5 years. Consider using steel braided hoses as they are much more durable than rubber ones.
- Periodically check the water supply lines on ice makers and dish washers for signs of wear and replace when needed.
- Keep a properly rated fire extinguisher in your kitchen and be sure to have them checked periodically by a professional.
- Make sure you know where the critical shutoffs are in your home for main power, water and gas if applicable.
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County wishes you a wonderful and prosperous 2019!!
Flooding and Water Emergencies in Spartanburg County
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Spartanburg County arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 864-576-2430
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of North & South Spartanburg County
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property
When Storms Hit, SERVPRO is Ready!
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Spartanburg County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
SERVPRO of Spartanburg is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Whether it is an emergency or a general cleaning, give us a call!!
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 864.576.2430
Spartanburg Smoke & Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Spartanburg County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – 864.576.2430
DIY Home Improvements Tips For Spartanburg County
With all of this wet weather we have had it may be a good time to do some projects indoors. Thanks to our friends at AARP, here is a list of 10 indoor home improvement projects to consider! Thanks again for trusting SERVPRO of Spartanburg County
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County is a trusted leader in the restoration industry. We provide 24-hour emergency service and are dedicated to responding faster to any size disaster. With the training and expertise to handle your restoration and cleaning needs, we’re locally owned and operated and can respond immediately to your emergency. Call us at 864.576.2430!
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County is also available for your carpet and tile cleaning needs!! Please call us today for a free consultation and estimate.
Be Aware, Mold Might Be In The Air
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 864.576.2430
Faster To Any Disaster
Fire an water damages are never scheduled, but are you prepared? From a burst pipe in an office building to faulty wiring in an apartment complex- fire and water losses are never planned, but they do occur.
SERVPRO professionals can manage the damage . We have...
- Over 40 years of business in the cleanup and restoration industry
- More than 1,500 franchises serving 48 states
- Detailed communication throughout the cleaning and restoration process helps keep you informed and in control
- Experience and traning in mitigation damages ranging from sinlge family homes to skyscrapers, and even the Pentagon.
1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines
- Within one hour from notice of loss, a SERVPRO representative will contact you to arrange for service
- Within four hours of loss notification, a SERVPRO representative will be on-site to start mitigation services
- Within eight business hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to the appropriate person
Quick response is everything. It may help avoid revenue loss for property owners and minimize inconvenience to tenants. Also, restoration services can help resume normal business functions quickly while avoiding costly construction downtime.
Need some restoration services? Call SERVPRO today!
IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Spartanburg County
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Why Choose SERVPRO?
Reduce Claims Loss Expense
Mitigation requires quick action. The faster SERVPRO can arrive on-site to perform water and smoke cleanup, the better the results, including lower claim costs.
Service Response Guidelines
- Within one hour from notice of loss, SERVPRO will contact your insured to arrange for service
- Within four hours of loss notification, SERVPRO will be on-site to start the mitigation process
- Within eight business hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to the adjuster
Faster Work Completion
No more waiting days for a contractor to respond when every hour counts. SERVPRO of Spartanburg County is dedicated to providing 24-hour emergency service, 365 days a year.
SERVPRO professionals arrive quickly and are trained and equipped to help you regain control of your life when disaster strikes.