Storm Damages: Flood Edition-Be Prepared
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County is always here to help and we want you to ALWAYS be prepared. Here are some tips from FEMA(Federal Emergency Management Agency) for preparing your home or business for a flood.
Before the Flood:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install “check valves” in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
During the Flood:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances .
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
After the Flood:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe to do so.