What To Do In an Event of Sewage Invading Your Home or Business
Water Damage From Contaminated Water
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly if contact with contaminated does occur.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
When it comes to contaminated water, SERVPRO of Spartanburg County are experts. We have trained professionals that can properly and efficiently take care of your sewage problem. A tragedy could happen in seconds and at any time so, do not hesitate and pick up the phone and give us a call. SERVPRO of Spartanburg County has 24/7 emergency services.
Large Loss and Storm Response Program
SERVPRO’s Large Loss Response Team was recruited to serve commercial large loss needs. This elite group of large loss specialists are prequalified and strategically positioned throughout the United States with substantial resources through a network of over 1,700 locations. Corporate oversight and communication on every file help to meet the predetermined client-specific needs. Immediate response, available 24/7/365 through 1-800-SERVPRO, will minimize any interruption’s in your business or home.
- Network of Strategically Positioned Storm Teams on Standby
- Immediate Mobilization
- Mobile and Local Command Centers
- Pre-Negotiated Pricing
- Corporate Oversight and Real-Time Event Management
- Commercial and Residential Losses Serviced
- Waiting Lists Minimized
- Back-End Reports for Analysis
- Uniformed Personnel
- Background Checks Required
SERVPRO is faster to any sized disaster and is always available to help you during your time in need.
Water Damage Cleanup & Restoration
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can help provide a solution to your property’s water damage needs.
- Uniformed Franchise Professionals will arrive on-site usually within four hours of notification to begin providing a resolution to the water damage situation.
- Technicians communicate their assessment with the property manager or owner in detail before beginning the cleanup and restoration process.
- Franchise Professionals utilize industry guidelines, knowledge, training and industrial equipment to examine the extent of the damage.
- Restoration services include moisture detection, water extraction, dehumidification and contents inventory.
- Closing the event work order in a timely manner through electronic claims reporting, consistent communication and professional restoration techniques.
- SERVPRO Franchise Professionals – available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
If your home or business is experiencing any kind of water damage, give us a call and our professionals will work with you to solve and restore the damages.
Fire, Smoke and Soot Restoration Services
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can help provide a solution to your property’s fire damage needs.
Structural Cleaning- After a smoke or fire damage, ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting and floors will often need a thorough cleaning. A SERVPRO Franchise Professional Will pretest to determine the extent of damage, and then use specific equipment and cleaning products required to clean and protect the different types of surfaces found in your facility. Depending on the amount of soot, SERVPRO may even be able to reduce the cost of recovery by cleaning lighter soot deposits found on some surfaces, eliminating the expense incurred with repainting or refinishing.
Contents Cleaning- All of the restorable contents in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. This includes area rugs, furniture, draperies and upholstery. SERVPRO professionals begin by carefully inspecting and testing all fabrics in the structure to determine which cleaning methods are most appropriate. SERVPRO can provide wet or dry cleaning services. Additionally, all the other restorable contents will be cleaned and deodorized to preloss condition. Finally, SERVPRO can provide an inventory list of all “to be claimed” items if requested.
Deodorization- SERVPRO provides specialized services that rid your place of business or home of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. SERVPRO does not merely cover up lingering odors with fragrance, they seek out the sources of the odor and remove them.
Storm Damages: Flood Edition-Be Prepared
Moving water can be dangerous. Stay out of its way.
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County is always here to help and we want you to ALWAYS be prepared. Here are some tips from FEMA(Federal Emergency Management Agency) for preparing your home or business for a flood.
Before the Flood:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install “check valves” in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
During the Flood:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances .
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
After the Flood:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe to do so.
What To Do and What Not To Do When Experiencing Water Damages
Water Damage From Clean Water
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source
- Turn of circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpet or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets to cause staining.
- Leave oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Extinguishing A Fire 101
When your home or business is on fire, there is only one thing top of mind, PUT THE FIRE OUT! In your business you are required to have a fire extinguisher and it is a good idea to have one in your home too. A fire extinguisher can save your home or business from suffering major damages. Below are the steps on how to properly use a fire extinguisher to put out a fire.
- PULL--Pull the pin that will break the tamper seal
- AIM--When aiming, point the nozzle or hose low. Go for the base of the fire.
NOTE--Do not touch the plastic discharge horn on CO2 extinguishers. It can damage your skin due to extreme heat.
- SQUEEZE—Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
- SWEEP—While extinguishing the fire, sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it is out.
If you are not confident in your ability to perform this task, evacuate immediately and call 911!
Reviewing the fire escape plan is very important. It can save lives.
When it comes to a house fire, you would do anything to keep your family safe. In an event of a fire at your home you may have as little as two minutes to escape. If you had that little time wouldn’t having a plan of escape and early detectors help this situation? This answer is super easy, yes. It can save lives. Here are some other things that can help your family in an event of a fire.
Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. That includes bedrooms and outside the sleeping areas.
Make sure to test the smoke alarms every month. If they are not working, change the batteries.
Create a family fire emergency escape plan and review it at least twice a year
And finally, if a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP.
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County experts can help you and your family deal with the aftermath of a house fire. Do not hesitate, let us take care of our your problems. Pick up the phone and call immediately. We off 24/7 emergency services for people in need. We are always here to help!
Are You Covered Properly?
Protect your business assets.
Every company needs business property insurance whether you own your own company building, lease it, or work from home. What a core business owners policy covers is your building and its contents, along with exterior fixtures. To go more in depth, this policy will cover your company’s physical assets from fire, explosions, burst pipes, storms, theft and vandalism. Normally earthquakes and floods are not covered in this policy unless added to the plan.
The cost of this policy varies. There are many factors that affect the cost of your policy. It really depends on the value of your business assets, including your building. The rest is based on risk. To elaborate on that, your location, construction, occupancy, fire protection, and theft protection are things that manipulate your premium. Location is obvious, if you live in an area prone to storms and other natural disasters your premium will adjust accordingly. Another factor is how you building was built and how old it is. The industry that you are in also affects the cost. Lastly, insurance companies look at how far away you are from the nearest fire hydrant and fire station and they also look to see if you have fire alarms, sprinkler systems, and security systems.
Just like we talked about before, this policy will basically covers your building, everything in it and just outside of it. Here are some examples:
- Exterior Signs
- Important documents
- Others’ property
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County works hand-in-hand with insurance companies all the time to make sure our customers are taken care of properly. To find out more about coverage and cost of a plan like this, contact your insurance agent to make sure you are covered properly in case of a disaster.
Hurricane Season is Back!
Hurricane winds are extremely strong and can cause major damage.
This time last year the state of South Carolina was still dealing with the after effects of Hurricane Florence. Hurricane season is still in full affect. We have already had a hurricane scare with Hurricane Dorian earlier this month. After taking a look at the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Jerry is forming and is hanging out near the Caribbean as I speak. This is nothing to worry about because it will not pass by the South Carolina shores.
Heavy rainfall and strong winds really puts beating on your home. Shingles can fly off leaving your roof exposed, sidings would fall and crumble like paper, and the structure of your home could be tested. It is important to have inspections on your home to make sure it is ready to take on the beating from the storms caused by hurricanes.
SERVPRO of Spartanburg is always here to help and is faster to any size disaster than anyone around. We have 24/7 emergency services to help with the effects of storms during hurricane season.
Give us a call immediately! 864.576.2430